Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Taj Mahal

The world famous Taj Mahal:



Well, it was closed when we got there so this is as close as we could get. So we went to this little place just a few meters down the road.



People say it's just as good, but I'm not so sure.

The Taj is definitely an impressive place, even with all the tourists. The inside of it isn't that stunning though - very dark and not as breathtaking as the outside. We were there for sunset so we got to see some great color variations on the white marble.

Most places in India have a vastly different pricing structure for locals versus foreigners. To take the most expensive example, entrance to the Taj Mahal costs 750 rupees (about 17 USD) for foreigners. The price for Indians? A measly 20 rupees (about 40 cents). I'm trying to perfect my Hindi to work some of these discounts, but so far have had little success.

I wanted to get some closer pics of the Taj, but we reached this sign, and since I couldn't figure out how to proceed, we simply turned around and went home.



Maybe I should have just taken advice from the locals and do as they do.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home