Monday, November 13, 2006

Farewell Kathmandu

So we're on the move again and our time in Kathmandu has been much too short. We've been able to chill out here but we also went on a little whitewater rafting adventure in the Bhote Koshi river which is one of the top ten rivers to raft on in the world. It was awesome and was almost non-stop action. I did happen to fall in the river and it was slightly scary but I kept my cool underwater and soon emerged out of it again. I also drank about a cup of that river and fortunately it seems like my insides are doing fine. The people of Kathmandu are really chilled out and so many people speak English. It's actually quite a contrast to China in terms of the kind of people we've met. I was here when I was 12 with my family and the city is so different. It's completely crowded and noise pollution is a big problem (I've heard this is small time compared to India, though). I remember it being fairly empty 17 years ago! As you may have heard, the Maoists and the government have called a truce...that didn't stop us from getting stopped by the Maoists though but Kevin will tell you more about that adventure. Here are some images of the Kathmandu we saw.

Here is a Maoist celebration rally we chanced upon.



And the all-seeing eyes that so distinctively look down on you from all over the city...





We head to the border tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home