Monday, March 19, 2007

Antarctica part 2

I´ve been trying to get around to adding some more pics of Antarctica but I´ve been having my usual bad luck with bad internet connections, outdated software, etc. I would like to add more pics to the blog but it´s a bit slow. I have two albums of pics on Kodak Gallery to share if you want to see more.

Hopefully these two links work. Let me know if they don´t.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingReg.jsp?Uc=bayzrz26.3qoqyi5y&Uy=-m80sxj&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=906320491955_497741131110

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=bayzrz26.5ze5h0wm&Uy=-yrd0cw&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

I want to show a few of my very favorite pics here, though.

Two landscape pictures I love.





A third landscape that also shows the penguins frolicking on the slope.



Here´s a picture of elephant seals. These aren´t even adults yet so they haven´t reached their full ugliness. We came across about a dozen lying on the beach. They have got to be one of the smelliest animals, as all they do is burp and fart and pee all over each other. Lying together, though, has its advantages as the rubbing of bodies helps them to shed their skins (you can see some of their skin coming off in the picture).



Here´s a good pic of a penguin reflected in the water.



Although I really like this picture, I´m also a bit annoyed by it too. Why? Because while I was taking pictures like this, a leopard seal was attacking a penguin and eating it for lunch 100 meters offshore. Our boat happened to be the first to land on this island and we were onshore while all the other landing boats were still in the water watching the 10-15 minute attack. Some people got some excellent pics, including one brilliant one with the penguin´s head coming off as the seal whips it about. Hopefully that one will be on our wrap up DVD that we get in about 3 months from the expedition company.

And this has to be my absolute favorite penguin pic of the ones I took.



On board the ship we had a photo competition and this was one of the finalists (although I didn´t win).

I´m also very keen to upload some of the videos that I took of penguins, but uploading videos is a very slow process and it very rarely works. I have managed, though, to upload two penguin vids. Some day I´ll hopefully manage to upload my favorite videos of penguins chasing after each other (the penguins are absolutely hilarious to watch, especially when they fall over). Until then, here are the two vids I have managed to upload. The quality is not the absolute best, but it´s not too bad.

The first video I took while lying on the ground and the curious penguins approached me. This video doesn´t have much action, but it´s a video of a penguin that was standing less than half a meter away from me. You can watch his head movements as he checks me out and also looks around for some backup from other penguins. If you have audio, you should also be able to hear the sounds of other penguins in the background (unseen).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8553585125078065459

The second video shows how penguins feed. We went very late in the Antarctic season so the chicks were all grown up so for the most part it was difficult to tell the chicks and the adults apart. However, if you go earlier in the season, you will see the parent penguins feeding their chicks. How do they do that? By regurgitating food (mostly krill) that they went out to sea to get. In this video, I don´t think any food is actually being passed but it shows the technique they use. At this point in the season, the parents have no food to give the somewhat grown up chicks and get annoyed when the chicks keep bothering them (hence the chase scenes I´m trying to show you as the parents run away from the chicks).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-998398083871940358

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These penguins pics and videos are fantastic. But for those who want to learn more about penguins, may I recommend an amazing movie about surfing penguins that comes out this summer...called "Surf's Up." A certain (un-named) restaurant may just happen to be sponsoring the movie and a certain (un-named) brother may just happen to be working on the marketing of said promotional tie-in. Forget "Happy Feet" and "March of the Penguins"--Surf's Up is THE PENGUIN movie to see.

Tue Mar 20, 03:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home