Sunday, August 05, 2007

Fourth of July, American style

Karen and I were very excited to spend our first Fourth of July in the US in many, many years (last one was in 2000, I think). My brother Brian's new in-laws were very kind and invited us to stay with them in Dixon, Illinois (boyhood home of Ronald Reagan), where we got to partake in a BIG Fourth of July feast. Rain threatened for part of the day, but mostly held off. Driving back into Chicago on the night of the 4th, we got to enjoy some great firework shows being put on by towns all along the highway. A great ride back in.

Here's Karen and I and my brother Brian and his soon-to-be-wife Shannon, 10 days before the wedding.



Here's Karen and Brian's new mother-in-law trying to avoid the raindrops.





And, my oh my, would you look at all of that food (all absolutely delicious)!!!





Somewhere in Illinois we stopped by a strip mall and found the Chinese store. I still haven't figured out what they are selling here, but it's only a dollar eighty-nine a pound (what a bargain)! And it shows you don't have to go all the way to China to find amusing signage.



Also, Karen was very excited about the prospect of visiting Dairy Queen while back in the US. So excited that she couldn't even wait to go to the front of the building to check out the menu so she checked out the drive-through menu.



That is, until the worker came on the speaker and said "Can I help you?", much to Karen's shock!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home